Regular physical activity can help to control blood sugar levels. It is recommended that you exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. If 30 minutes at a time is not feasible, remember that you can split your activity into 10 minute segments and it still has heart health benefits! Here are some ways to begin increasing your physical activity:
- Take a daily walk. Start slow and increase by 1-2 minutes each time.
- Walk during part of your lunch break.
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
- Park at the back of the parking lot and walk to the building or store.
- Walk or bike instead of driving when you can.
- Get a pedometer at your local pharmacy or sports store. Set a goal to reach 10,000 steps a day.
- Get your whole family involved.
Exercise is not only helpful in lowering blood sugar, it has numerous health benefits including:
- Increased strength and endurance
- Build healthy bones and muscles
- Help with weight control
- Prevent heart and circulation problems
Posted in: General